On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 2:21 PM, Diana Lee via Origami <
origami@lists.digitalorigami.com> wrote:

> I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think that is a dodecahedron.  It may
> be an icosahedron.
> The model could be the stellated icosahedron shown on this page:
>   https://www.origami-resource-center.com/polyhedra-origami.html

The shape appears to be a stellated octahedron, not a dodeca- or
icosadhedron. The "bumps" have triangular bases, which rules out anything
dodecahedral (pentagonal faces/bases of the "bumps") and there just aren't
enough faces for an icosahedron.

On the Lexus enthusiast page that Peter found:

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2018/03/08/lexus-celebrates-owners-with-new-commercial/

in addition to the advertisement itself, there's a behind-the-scenes video
that talks about the origami, but sadly never gives a particular designer
credit for the origami piece itself. Of which, according to the video,
there are 2000 in the hanging arrangement!

(The direct Youtube link to the behind-the-scenes video is here:
https://youtu.be/xA18TAbnCYY )

The artist interviewed (who appears to have designed the hanging 3D shape
part - he calls himself a "perceptual artist") calls the origami piece
(around time mark 0:44) something that sounds like "katana" which I'm going
to guess is him mis-speaking/mis-remembering the word "kusudama." (TOTAL
conjecture on my part. But the word "katana" in Japanese means "sword" so
something's odd there.)  At time mark 0:47 there's a very clear shot of the
pieces. It looks like it's made from just a few piece, or maybe even one
piece - you can see that there aren't very many seams.

So, 'fess up, creators - anyone know who did the origami?

Anne