On Mar 18, 2018, at 15:12, Anne LaVin <anne.la...@gmail.com> wrote:

(The direct Youtube link to the behind-the-scenes video is here:
https://youtu.be/xA18TAbnCYY )

The artist interviewed (who appears to have designed the hanging 3D shape
part - he calls himself a "perceptual artist") calls the origami piece
(around time mark 0:44) something that sounds like "katana" which I'm going
to guess is him mis-speaking/mis-remembering the word "kusudama." (TOTAL
conjecture on my part. But the word "katana" in Japanese means "sword" so
something's odd there.)  At time mark 0:47 there's a very clear shot of the
pieces. It looks like it's made from just a few piece, or maybe even one
piece - you can see that there aren't very many seams.

—-
Hi Anne and others, thank you for sending your email w more links to the
making-of etc. From what I saw, the artist Murphy isn’t the same person who’s
shown folding the origami... that person looks Japanese and could just be a
model not the person who actually folded the models.
Also what Murphy says is, I believe, origami “components” not katana. And he
goes on to say that it’s all hung by other “structural components.”
Re: the origami model itself, it looks to be one piece that’s folded into that
shape. I’ve folded something similar but don’t know whose model it is right off
the bat but maybe Montroll or the ‘German artist whose name I don’t recall now
but he and his wife had visited NYC convention many years ago’. I’m going to
look for his name...
I wouldn’t be surprised if the letters had been printed on A4 size paper since
A4 has geometric qualities that American letter paper does not.
I loved the car from R side becoming logo from front... that was sweeeet!!!

Happy folding :)
Vishakha