Hi Elina,

I don’t know of any published article (I’d like to know) but I can tell some
curious differences that I noted over time. It’s just all empirical.
In Argentina, where I was born and grew up, I was always surprised to see how
the majority of paperfolders are women and the most folded type of models are
2D and 3D modulars (when I say surprised, I mean because social networks and
the internet offer many possibilities in the current times to get out of the
usual and engage in something new and exciting.) So much so that mostly any
group, meeting, etc., will teach only modulars.

Modulars, it is said, are interesting because you can use them to teach math
and geometry (more women than men are school teachers in Argentina.) But more
than anything else, modulars like 2D stars and 3D kusudamas, are used as
decorative items, for your own, for gifts, parties, etc., which is another
occupancy that women engage with.

Modulars, I was told, are easier to teach in virtual and in-person meetings,
especially for newcomers. But still, there are quite a lot easy animals to
teach, so I’m not sure this is a good reason (again, this is my only opinion.)

I can count with my fingers the number of men that do origami in Argentina. I
know they do like to fold animals and non-figuratives (other than modulars).
Some are also good with crease patterns and complex models. A few excel in
tessellations. As opposed, women in Argentina -who largely surpass the number
of men- I think only a few are very good with tessellations (not sure about
their skills with complex animals), and I know of one or two that can draw
diagrams.

Conclusion: it’s as if “animals” are a boy's thing and “modulars, stars and
flowers” a girls thing.

Again, I can be biased in my observation. Perhaps others can follow-up in my
observations.

Good luck with your research
Laura Rozenberg