Elina Gor wrote:
> I'm looking for published articles about gender differences in origami,
if there are any.
> Other subjects of interest are age differences, education and work fields
differences.

My personal observations over the years is, that there are differences that
often depend on the regional culture and age of the folders. In north
western societies, like most of Europe and the USA, there is often a strong
gender difference, in that women tend to fold simple practical and pretty
things like modular boxes, modulars, and jewelry, whereas men are more keen
to fold realistic replicas of things around them, like animals or game
characters. Most young folders hereby want to test out the limits of what
is possible, the more complex, the better. With age paradigms often shift
and people prefer nice folding sequences over difficulty, leading in turn
to fold more abstract yet often more refined models, often these are
simpler in appearance too. At conventions in these regions, you often
stumble upon women that only fold boxes and simple modulars, upon groups of
young men folding complex dragons and other figurines and upon people of
all ages and sexes that fell in love with tessellations and stopped folding
anything else. When I attended a convention in Colombia I was surprised to
see none of those gender differences, everyone folded everything, there
were men selling their self made jewelry and women giving/attending classes
for complex dragons and such things. For the north western regions, I think
that these gender differences are strongly anchored in the society itself.
>From a young age boys are encouraged to explore, to study their
surroundings, to be interested in technical things, whereas girls are
expected to do girly things, to act responsible and do quiet things without
asking too many questions.
Origami is very diverse. There are many styles, areas and niches to choose
from. Some people specialize in one of those fields, others like to do a
little bit of everything.
As for work fields, I found that there are many scientists that are drawn
to origami. No wonder, scientists love logical patterns and Origami
provides exactly that.

Nice greetings from someone who likes to fold almost anything but has a
slight preference towards complex things from single sheets, with nice
folding sequences and ingenious colour changes.

Anna from Vienna, Austria