I apologize for sarcastically nitpicking on John’s final point and for ignoring the first part of his message.
His insights on the experiences of OPF were interesting and useful.
And looking at some of the other responses, it seems that there is actually some useful data out there that could be analyzed to provide some answers to the original question. I wonder if anyone would be willing to take up that task. Moving forward, it should be relatively easy to collect current data. All that would be required would be to set up an online questionnaire and then promoting it widely across all the various origami organizations. Granted, that would skew the data towards people with internet access, but it would probably be able to generate more data than previously gathered.
Joseph Wu, Origami Artist (via iPhone)
e: josep...@origami.as
w: http://www.origami.as
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/josephwuorigami/