-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of The
elephantwalker
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 10:08 PM
To: Orion-Interest
Subject: RE: Questions about Orion

Vlad,

Here are the answers as I know them:

1. SQL Server 2000 database --> That's a tough one. I don't know any IT
managers recommending this beast. But if you got to live with it ... make
sure you test the jdbc drivers with all necessary uses of sql including
things like LIMIT, CLOB, BLOB as well as 100's of open connections. These
are the key database needs for a appserver servicing the web.

2. Orion uses the Java 1.3 jvm from Sun, IBM or others. As they say, if it
runs on one, it runs on all.

3. We use IBM's jvm with absolutely no problems.

4. Scalability is determined by your clustering needs. Orion clusters
httpsessions in islands of two to four servers. Statefull Session Beans are
not clustered, but entity beans and slsb's are easily set up in a clustered
environment. Orion is easily the fastest jsp/servlet engine on the planet,
and along with some very good performance numbers on the ejb side, you can
out do other app servers by a factor of 3 to 1. By the way, Orion by itself
can out do IIS by six to one! Oracle thought so much of the Orion
performance, they licensed the software as the core of their j2ee
application server.

5. j2ee security is used on Orion, you can implement your own user security,
or link up with ldap, or use the builtin usermanagers for databases. SSL is
also a feature of Orion, but I would recommend locking down your web server
with SSL, or use a hardward accelerator, and proxying Orion outside the dmz.
This is how most firms implement appservers.

6. Like anything, if you run it on Windows, it will be compromised. We have
not had any security troubles with Linux RedHat 7.1 and orion.

7. Ironflare doesn't really provide the technical support that some need.
With Ironflare's encouragement, companies like Flowsheet Technologies and
others provide subscription based customer support for Orion. Join our site,
www.elephantwalker.com, its free, and sign up for a subscription when you
need some help. We also provide a course for Orion in the San Francisco Bay
Area.

regards,

the elephantwalker
www.elephantwalker.com