This seems the better discussion thread http://sourceforge.net/projects/adempiere/forums/forum/611167/topic/3392003

red1 wrote:
Thanks for the pointers. There seems to be some confusion (in my head) over the actual clauses of GPLs in the protection of opening source-code. From our project discussions:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/adempiere/forums/forum/610546/topic/3175560
and
http://sourceforge.net/projects/adempiere/forums/forum/610546/topic/3053975

I somewhat remember one of us wrote to FSF for clarification of a certain clause where the owner of sourcecode can hide its sourecode somewhat from public access as long as they put the licence note in, etc. The owner only need to give access when requested by users but may not offer it beforehand. I am checking again with my community as to what was the delicate answer.