boh, from your writing, the first thing that came to my mind is that we need
people who are willing to solve real problems. genuinely helping other
people to solve a problem. not about making a fast buck.

ditesh and marcus, that is so true...

hasan and amran, maybe we should propose to mdec to sponsor rm10k for any
malaysian student / organisation whose proposed google summer of code
project is accepted ? this could be a good start for getting a pool of
developers that hopefully a few will rise to be world class ? this should
keep a developer with family of 3 kids above the rm3k poverty line (urban
kl) for 3 months. can we start with an initial allocation of rm500k for next
year ?

apparently in 2008, 2 malaysian students made it which makes our ranking
lower than sri lanka. sri lanka is in top 10 countries in terms of number of
accepted students.
http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2008/04/two-top-10s-for-google-summer-of-code.html