<http://www.amazon.com/Branding-Only-Works-Cattle-competitors/dp/0446178012/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258161000&sr=8-7>
red1, your 2nd slide is based on the pest analysis technique and not
porter's 5 forces
pest analysis : political, economic, social, technological
porter's 5 forces : competitor, newcomer, buyer, supplier, product

in the perfect capitalist free market : the best software company is one
that kills off its competitors (until it is the remaining monopoly), prevent
newcomers by registering a string of generic business method patents,
locks-in the buyer to its products, buys-out its suppliers, and spread fud
on competiting products.

now if that software company sits in the msc iap, do you think it is going
to help malaysia create it's own software ?

kudos to najib for sticking his neck out and telling off the iap members
that its time malaysia had its own software.

imho, we need rm30 million over rmk10 to produce 100 world class developers.
jpa spends minimum rm300k to produce 1 graduate from the oxbridge and ivy
league top world class universities. which means 100 world class developers
x rm300k = rm30 million.

red1 and myself have already calculated that to produce 1 competent freshie
developer takes 6 months and rm50k (average of rm8k per month). this
person's income value is rm8k per month (using kelly salary guide max scale
for a websphere application developer). with 100 developers over 5 years the
total value is rm50 million. which is a 67% return on investment ( ROI !)
for the govt.

we have not even talked about the us$1000 per manday or euro1500 per manday
fees that the top developers can demand.