There was a point in time in the windows community that Basic becomes Visual Basic and was the most popular language
for developing desktop apps on win32. However the inherent ugliness of the language and how OOP was forced to it so that
it could stay alive was like a Frankeinstien on steroids. That "ugliness" however reaches its climax when MS decided enough is enough and  came out with C#.
(ok maybe it was Java that fueled the decision...)
Of course, frankeinstein still lives on and will do so for many years as well as grand examples of apps written in VB that lurks in download.com.

PHP? Its just waiting for the "replacement" to come, there is only so much u can hack into what in inherently...ugly.

->  hiding in caves

Raja Iskandar Shah wrote:
maybe this thread should really be python vs perl vs java ?

but php is still the top language for web cms :
http://www.packtpub.com/article/open-source-cms-award-previous-winners

open source cms awards :
  1. 2009
    1. wordpress - php
    2. modx - php
    3. silverstripe - php
  2. 2008
    1. drupal - php
    2. joomla - php
    3. dotnetnuke - vb.net
  3. 2007
    1. drupal - php
    2. joomla - php
    3. cms made simple - php
  4. 2006
    1. drupal - php
    2. joomla - php
    3. plone - python
looking at the new cms modx and silverstripe (from nz - the land of sheep) shows that php is alive and kicking

i guess the python community still has some way to go to understand what people really want

hehehehe .....