Hi Chris,

As you have found out there is no write support in the 3ds plugin.
The 3ds format is not a good format so its not something I'd actually
recommend as a route for interoperability.

The OSG is open source though, so if you have the itch then feel free
to dive into the code and add write support.

Robert.