On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 9:47 PM, Paul Martz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Along the same line, what I'd like to see at some point in the future would
> be an equivalent extension mechanism for .ive. Right now, the only solution
> is to "own your own .ive plugin".
>
> More generally, it'd be nice to have an extension mechanism available to all
> OSG plugins, not just .osg/.ive, that would allow an application to do its
> own I/O as necessary. For example, in my current project, I need to be able
> to write physics info to .dae files. Such physics-related application code
> doesn't belong in OSG and therefore doesn't belong in the OSG DAE plugin,
> yet there's no way for an app to hook into the OSG DAE plugin so that the
> app can write this info.
>
> Robert -- any thoughts on a design that might allow this?

This has to be a per format type extension, for instance getting the
Collada DOM instance
for an opened .dae would be the way of extending it.  One one need a
callback mechanism too I guess,
something along the lines of the present DotOsgWrapper.

The .ive format itself needs to be replaced by an extensible binary .osg format.