Hi

There's many issues why you will struggle with this and no it's not just a
windows issues it effects other OS's some do a better job off moving the
issues forward but they will still crop up

Simplest solution is to go to a 64bit OS with a good 8gb or more.

There is another limitation you will hit on 32bit windows is you can only
have an address space per process of 1.8gb , other OS's such as Unix's and
Linux's do a much better job and get you near the true 32bit limit

Another problem is that you need a contiguous memory area for malloc/new on
windows  this is a  big problem ,

Some of the reasons why this is an issue is that Windows has already eaten
up a chunk of the available memory, not only with programs , services ,
dll's being loaded they sadly  simply  don't get then next serial  memory
address, they may be load smack bang in the middle of the address space, so
straight away that can l half the size of the max malloc/new you can do. As
you load more programs more dll's the longer windows is running the more
fragmented the memory will get and the smaller the max malloc/new can create
will get lower, the MAC's OS's are the best at handling this sort of thing
and Linux is typically better than window's

What you can try is all the normal traditional tips, only run [processes,
services that absolutely need to  etc see
http://www.vis-sim.com/vega/vegafaq1.htm#f39 ( needs modernizing but the
gist is valid)

This use be a big problem back in the heyday of IRIX, it would load is
system SO's(dll's)  smack bang in the middle of memory the same for
programs. What had to be do there was to force the system to load its libs
either high or low and you has to rebase the loading address of all the SO's
your program used.

You can do a similar thing in Windows and for all your dll's to re-base and
control were they load. If you do that the final  trick is that as some as
your application starts you need to create the large memory stuff straight
away, otherwise your address space will get fragmented and your back to
square one

At my company we have to handle multi-terra byte imagery and have to use
processes like I have described, so it can be done. you just need an
engineer that knows this hard stuff, thankfully  we have an engineer that
does ;) and no you cannot have him ;)

Gordon Tomlinson

Email   :  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
YIM/AIM : gordon3dBrit
MSN IM  :  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website :  <http://www.vis-sim.com> www.vis-sim.com