That reminds me of an issue I have not resloved yet.  Our space ships have
thruster engines and I use an image map with transparency and point it back
at the camera to make a pretty glow around it.  (First off, is this the best
way to do it?  I have thought that perhaps a shader would work better, but I
have not had a chance to learn about how to write shaders yet.  So much to
learn, so little time).

Anyway, In some ships there are banks of engines, and it is pretty easy to
get the problem where these transparent images intersect with each other,
and you get depth sorting issues that way.  I did work out a way to make
these "engine flare images" point, rather than right at the camera, all
along parallel lines with the camera's line of sight, and that helped
tremendously, but you can still get in positions where the images happen to
line up along the same depth, and you see some funky tearing and the like
due to depth fighting.  Is there a way to handle this better? Should I try
to apply other bins to the different engines?  What are the rules wrt
that?   It sounds like I need to read up on the glDepth and osg::Depth.  Any
other recommendations?  I was running into problems rendering planet halos
too.  Should the halo be in front of the planet or behind it?  probably the
same kind of thing going on.

Regards,
-- Rick

Check us out at http://fringe-online.com/