I have seen some examples, somewhere I think, where you could have one
texture on the lit side of an object and then have another texture on the
dark side.  I am thinking of the earth where you could see lights in cities
on the dark side.  Did I really see that somewhere or is that my
imagination?

I have heard of using fragment shaders and it is something I would like to
learn more about.  Where can I find out about how to use "multi-pass
technique" and/or "register"?

Check us out at http://fringe-online.com/