Hi Todd -- I'd think the Geode-per-Drawable might improve cull performance
in your case, as it's faster to cull against bounding spheres than boxes.

I've been working with complex CAD data for over a year and have had good
results with some models by inserting OcclusionQueryNodes at strategic
locations. You might take a look at that.

If you are working with PolyTrans to convert the CAD data, you should email
me offline. I've been developing some tools to ease that process.

Paul Martz
Skew Matrix Software LLC
http://www.skew-matrix.com
+1 303 859 9466