On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Jean-Sébastien Guay <
jean-sebastien.g...@cm-labs.com> wrote:

> Hi Robert, Glenn,
>
>  Could the mime type simply be mapped to a plugin name?  If so then all
>> we'd need to do to set up a alias list for mime type in addition to
>> the current extension aliasing that the osgDB::Registry holds.
>>

> I've seen lately, MediaWiki keeps a mapping of MIME type to extension (for
> security, it checks that the file actually contains what its extension
> suggests it should). In our case, we could do the same, and when the MIME
> type is checked, an extension would be returned, and then the plugin for
> that extension would be used.
>
> Where to store the mapping would be an open question though. Hard-coded in
> a header/cpp somewhere, or as a text file in OpenSceneGraph-Data? But I
> thought I'd just throw the idea out there.

J-S,

I'd be happy with this approach. I think hard-coding should be sufficient
for now. If there's a compelling reason, we can move to the config file
approach later.

Here's a sample mime-type list:
http://www.w3schools.com/media/media_mimeref.asp

Anyway-- once there's a consensus I will be happy to code something up.

Glenn Waldron : Pelican Mapping : http://pelicanmapping.com :
+1.703.652.4791