Hi Robert,

A big extrapolation, but typically people will develop and browse
under the same platform.

But are people who go to the OSG site necessarily people who use OSG? That's the extrapolation I was referring to.

Actually I think you're being a little tetchy.   How is pointing
aspects browser stats extremist?

I wasn't referring to browser stats when saying you're extremist, but more to your general comments on Windows, and how (most) people who use Windows are buying into MS and being blinded by their PR, and so on. In the past few weeks I had the impression that you were making some blanket statements, not necessarily including the Windows users on this list (I didn't feel directly pointed out, at least) but most of the Windows users.

It's a tool for a job, making it into a war is useless.

For me a real eye opener is that Firefox has risen so rapidly, the
mind share that MS once had over Windows developers clearly has ebbed
dramatically in the case of browsers.  Clearly MS's OS have faired
better than their browser, and kept more market share, but OS's are
far more of a bed rock of daily work than a single replaceable
application, replacing it is not far from easy or desirable in many
cases.

OK, so you're making the assumption that if 60% of visitors on the site are using Windows, but only 25% use IE, then people seem to not be buying into MS's PR anymore? I would say that the advances of Open Source software (in terms of visibility, quality, etc.) have had a large hand in that. And I agree, being in the same boat myself (Windows user but open source software user wherever I can).

So that's good news right?

Given the context for Gordon Tomlison's recent email about Direct3D an
assertions that some clients ask for Direct3D simply because they
think it's better, I think it's important to point out stats, as it's
one of the tools that we have available.  Times have certainly changed
dramatically in the browser market, extrapolating this to a suggestion
that other parts of the software eco-system might be also ripe for
change as well I don't think is too unreasonable.

I agree. And BTW I've been silent about your list of concrete actions, but I'll help there as much as I can of course. Just because I'm a Windows user doesn't make me self-centered :-)

J-S