Hi Martin,

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 8:16 PM, Martin Beckett <osgfo...@tevs.eu> wrote:
> OpenGL was a major concern in me choosing OSG for a commercial product.
>
> I have issues with our current product where there are drawing bugs due to
> OpenGL drivers (Dell laptops !) and I have to tell customers to update.

I feel your anguish on this.  We have to get better OpenGL drivers out there.

> It's also not beyond belief that MSFT could simply decide to lock OpenGL out
> of a future version of windows (or cripple it)

Well this was the case originally for Vista, but it was lobbying by
big companies that used OpenGL turned it around.  Amongst these some
OSG users were very active and uncompromising in the push for allowing
OpenGL driver to function fully.   Potentially if the OSG had a
Direct3D path then this lobbying wouldn't have been so direct, and
there that it might not have swung the right way for us.

If proper OpenGL drivers hadn't been on Vista then many many software
vendors would have been in big trouble, having to accept huge
engineering costs refactoring or loss of market share.  The stakes
were pretty high.  When stakes are high sometime you have to hold your
nerve.