My plugins all have the .so extension. The main libraries all have .dylib.
Someday we'll get Frameworks working properly but that day is not today.

The only thing I know of that changed very recently was that under OSX, the
debug library suffix (by default "d") was not being added properly when
using the Debug configuration, because _DEBUG was not being passed
correctly. This is still potentially a problem for Makefile builds. Are you
doing a Debug build or a Release build? Plugins were broken for Debug
builds. One of my submissions has not yet been integrated; see
osg-submissions for details.

You might also try using the Xcode generator; you can use the command-line
compiler to actually compile things if you don't like the IDE (I use an
install directory in my home directory for testing):

xcodebuild -configuration Release -target install

-Eric