From: osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org
[mailto:osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org] On Behalf Of sherman
wilcox
Sent: Saturday 04 April 2009 17:30
To: OpenSceneGraph Users
Subject: [osg-users] Windows users - VS2008 comments

Slightly off-topic for this mailing list but here goes. For the
Windows users out there, those of you that are using or know of
developers using VS2008 - any comments? Problems, benefits, pros/cons?

My project is using VS2005 and has been for a while now but I'm
considering switching to VS2008. In my case there's only one reason -
the /MP benefit. /MP enables parallel compilation. For multiprocessor
or multicore systems it's a real performance increase. I'm not talking
about parallel builds of multiple projects but compiling multiple
modules in the same project(s) in parallel. On VS2005 /MP is
undocumented but works, mostly. It's a tremendous performance boost.
However, I've ran into a PDB corruption issue here as of late. Error
C2471. Not sure why it's suddenly happening as I've been using /MP for
a long while now. I believe Gordon warned me this could happen and it
has. I phoned Microsoft about this and they said that /MP is
unsupported on VS2005 and I have no recourse but to either not use
that feature (no way - too fast) or upgrade to VS2008. So, I may be
upgrading. However, there are numerous developers on my project and I
want to have a clear understanding of any potential issues before
moving forward. I'll be purchasing a copy to test but I'd like to hear
from the list.