I didn't see any topics about this, so I apologize if it is redundant.

I'm a student who is trying to finish his masters program and I want to use OSG
to allow me to more rapidly and accurately work with shaders via OpenGL. All
the built-in features such as model-loading help too.

Problem is, I can't get it fully installed on Windows. On OS X, I got it
installed in about 30 seconds. On Windows, I've been going at it for around 6
or 7 hours with no success.

Now I don't know if it's my fault or someone else's, but the tutorial for
setting up OSG for Visual Studio 2005 does not work for me at several points,
eventually making further progress towards installation impossible. Here is the
tutorial that I am trying to use:
http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/osg/wiki/Support/PlatformSpecifics/VisualStudio

I followed all the steps to the best of my ability. Here are the problems I
encountered.

1. Clicking "Configure" on CMake using the OpenSceneGraph 2.8.0 code results in
about fifty warnings (or errors, whatever it means when the property items are
red and it won't let you Generate). I wasn't able to figure out why this
happened, but I "fixed" it by simply telling CMake to Configure again, which
removed the warnings.

2. When setting up a Visual Studio project to know where the paths and
libraries are and such, I got error messages when attempting to compile saying
that $(OSG_INCLUDE_PATH) was not a valid directory, even though echo
%OSG_INCLUDE_PATH% produced the correct directory. It must be a Visual Studio
problem, and it actually doesn't break today. That error message is now gone
for no reason.

3. Either way, after giving it the correct paths in the project settings and
including the appropriate libraries, I got this error:
1>.\osgviewer.cpp(12) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file:
'osgDB/ReadFile': No such file or directory

Obviously, it couldn't locate osgDB. For a while, I thought it might be the
problem of not adding a "d" to the end of my libraries, since I compiled OSG in
debug mode. While that might still be a problem, the real issue is that, for
whatever reason, the include folders and files did not get compiled into the
/build directory. The config files did, however. So, it appears that my include
locations are all wrong.

4. Fine, I put the includes where they should be and recompiled. I now get
hundreds of redefinition warnings from gl.h, which is a classic symptom of
including OpenGL BEFORE windows.h.

I don't have a clue as to how to proceed. I can't realistically do my
development only on OS X, since my professors will want the program available
on Windows. I really want to use OSG, but lately I'm spending more time trying
to install it than researching my thesis topic.

Oh, and it wasn't really clear from your wiki, and I'm not familiar enough with
massive open source projects like yours enough to know if I'm going after the
wrong thing. Do I have to install all this stuff just so I can USE OSG, rather
than develop OSG itself? I mean, I don't have to download the source for
Firefox to use it. Am I going about this the wrong way?

Thanks for your help.

Salutations,
Dwight House