Hi,

Tanguy Fautre wrote:

A bit OT, but which part of the C standard says that all uninitialized variables shall default to 0? The only zero initialization guarantee of the C standard I know of is related to static variables (which MSVC supports).

I'm pretty sure even GCC doesn't zero-initialize variables by default, e.g.

13:31|p...@tabu:~/acgt/webservices-svn> cat t.c
#include <stdio.h>
int main()
{
int i;
printf("%d\n", i);
}
13:38|p...@tabu:~/acgt/webservices-svn> gcc -o t -std=c99 t.c
13:38|p...@tabu:~/acgt/webservices-svn> ./t
134513588

If what you say about FFmpeg expected C behaviour is true, it sounds to me that FFmpeg is relying on a non-standard extensions of GCC.

If you don’t mind, I’ll take your email as an opportunity to express my biggest complain about the FFmpeg project: its portability.

On the current situation of FFmpeg on Windows, IMHO the FFmpeg dev team has abslolutely no valid reasons for not making FFmpeg portable. In fact, it looks like they took several decisions with the sole purpose of making FFmpeg a GCC-only / MSVC-incompatible product. Reading their rant about MSVC on the official website tends to confirm that some of their choices are mainly motivated by anti-microsoft political reasons rather than technical.

From the FFMPEG FAQ (http://ffmpeg.org/faq.html#SEC9)

"""
4.3 Is Microsoft Visual C++ supported?

No. Microsoft Visual C++ is not compliant to the C99 standard and does not - among other things - support the inline assembly used in FFmpeg. If you wish to use MSVC++ for your project then you can link the MSVC++ code with libav* as long as you compile the latter with a working C compiler. For more information, see the Microsoft Visual C++ compatibility section in the FFmpeg documentation.

There have been efforts to make FFmpeg compatible with MSVC++ in the past. However, they have all been rejected as too intrusive, especially since MinGW does the job adequately. None of the core developers work with MSVC++ and thus this item is low priority. Should you find the silver bullet that solves this problem, feel free to shoot it at us.

We strongly recommend you to move over from MSVC++ to MinGW tools.
"""

The second paragraph is interesting, as it suggests that people have at least tried in the past to get ffmpeg to be MSVC-compatible. But if they made the decision to use C99 (which does have some nice additions compared to the older C standards) then MSVC is indeed left in the rain :)

- They’ve chosen to rely on the C99 standard, which is not as widely as supported as C89 and C++98. GCC is the only widely-used compiler that comes close to having a full C99 support (followed by the Intel compiler), but even GCC is still missing several features (http://gcc.gnu.org/c99status.html). MSVC and Borland have little C99 support.

- They use the AT&T assembly syntax for x86/x86-64 assembly code instead of using the Intel assembly syntax or Intel intrinsics.

These two decisions alone mean that one would have to rewrite most of FFmpeg to get it compiling on any compiler that is not a GCC-clone. While there is nothing close to FFmpeg on the market (open or closed source), while I’m a huge supported of FFmpeg and related projects, such poor decisions are ridicule from a software engineering point of view and ultimately hurts FFmpeg.

Bottom line: I think the ffmpeg devs only care about Linux (and other unices). Windows folks are more used to having libraries available in binary form so it takes just one guy to build FFMPEG using MinGW and make it available for the rest to use.

Paul