Thanks Robert for the suggestion.
I implemented the feature based on  osgscreencapture.cpp  for the case
"--pbuffer-only".
However the code still has two problems:

1) I get the following warning

PixelBufferX11::init(), pbuffer created with different size then requsted
        Requested size (800,600)
        Pbuffer size (0,0)
Pixel buffer has been created successfully.

If I let it pass the video creation works fine, but I get weird
drawings on my screen (on the whole desktop, independent of any
window). If I add a check for the pixel buffer size after creation,
well it is always empty. Without the pbuffer feature the application
works fine.

2) Independent of the previous issue, if I run the application in a
console (out of  X) I get the following error

Error: Unable to open display ":0.0".
  GraphicsWindow has not been created successfully.
Error: Unable to open display ":0.0".
std::exception was raised:  ColladaRenderer::ColladaRenderer failed to
create the pixel buffer

so it seems that the viewer still tries to create the GraphicsWindow.

Where in the code can I check if the viewer will try to create a
GraphicsWindow ?
What do you think I am doing wrong ?

Regards,
rodrigob.