Hey,

I appreciate the advice from everybody and have implemented a lot of it as it
will help me develope better code.  However, my original problem does not stem
from thread safety but from the .IV plugin and COIN.  We discoved this before I
left for the day and I believe this may be an issue to be looked into.

Here is what was happening.  When I tried to load up .IV files using Inventor
and COIN the plugin would fail along the way.  Most times the failure would
only return a NULL pointer and I would be led to believe, by the notify
messages, that the plugin simply could not be found.  However, when we started
messing around with the order of operations and a few other parameters we
noticed that the crash was only taking place when attempting to load a .IV
file.  The reason I thought this was a threading issue is that the call stack
made it look like one of the internal vectors had been corrupted by another
thread.  But, since the only thing that was happening at this time was failing
to read a .IV file we figured something was not quite as it appeared.

To make a long story short COIN was failing in a bad way but the standard
notify message at the INFO level is:

DynamicLibrary::failed loading "osgPlugins-3.0.0/osgdb_ivd.dll"
Warning: Could not find plugin to read objects from file "../../some_file.iv".

So, I know that COIN's failure is not an OSG problem but I do believe there may
be room for a more useful debug output when a dll has problems that don't
revolve around not existing.

My largest problem is that I'd love to tackle this myself but the legal I'd
have to go through here would take at least 6 months.  So, it is here for
discussion and if you think that 6 months + time to fix this wouldnt be that
bad I could put in for permission to contribute to the project and hope they
approve it.

Thanks,
soulsabr