I remember it being something more generic ("interactive virtual environment", or something like that), and not tied to any kind of history. I vaguely recall the e-mail thread about what to call the format, but I can't remember any specifics. We don't seem to have mail archives that go back that far anymore, either.

The logs show that the format was added in 2003 (around version 0.9.6 of OSG), a while after the Inventor .iv format had become largely irrelevant.

--"J"