Hi Craig -- as far as I know, no one is using vertex array objects with OSG.

I am using OSG built for GL3 in an external OpenGL 3/4 project, but for file loading only, not for rendering. (The external project requires OSG built for GL3 in order to avoid including both gl.h and gl3.h in the same source.) I'm using OSG svn trunk HEAD for this, and it works great on both Windows and OSX (not yet tested on Linux). But the external project does the rendering, not OSG, so my work here doesn't help you with OSG's current lack of VAO support.

I think it'd be great to have VAO support in OSG. You might want to post some design ideas here for discussion, and review by Robert (as it would involve changes to core OSG).
   -Paul