I second the StackExchange suggestion if the mailing list and forums are
going to be replaced by one system. StackExchange sites are much easier to
search through than relying on Google to look up things in the mailing list
or forums. I think it'd cut down on repeat questions a lot (how many users
here have been told by a more experienced OSG user to go back and search
through the lists because the question being asked has been discussed
before? I know I have!)

It's also much easier to integrate code snippets and images to provide
better questions and answers. There are plenty of OSG questions on
StackOverflow so one can get an idea of how that kind of site would look.

Regarding user registration - I never really understood the point of having
your full name being a mandatory thing for the forum sign up. Is it a
courtesy thing? Is it to prevent spam?

Preet