If you don't build OSG with the "GL3_AVAILABLE" CMake flag, then OSG
"supports" GL3 and GL4 functionality via a GL 2.1 context and the OpenGL
extension interface.

Selecting the "GL3_AVAILABLE" flag allows you to open GL3/4 contexts. This
functionality was added in the OSG 2.9.x series. To my knowledge, there has
been little or no development of GL3/4 contexts since; that's why OSG still
includes gl3.h instead of glcorearb.h. You might consider contributing an
update.

To my knowledge, the osgQt library was never tested with a GL3/4 context.

There is an example osgsimplegl3 to test/demo an OpenGL 3.1 context. This
example works fine on Windows last time I checked. The example source has
some comments at the bottom of the file.

There is a known issue with core profile contexts because core profile
requires use of vertex array objects. As far as I know, OSG has no support
for vertex array objects. This is a roadblock to using OSG/GL3 on OSX.

Much of this has been discussed in the past, so I'd recommend searching the
osg-users archives for additional information.

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 3:08 AM, Roger Floydman <roger.floyd...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd heard lots of good things about OpenSceneGraph so decided to give it a
> try. On the 'features' page it says "OpenGL 1.0 through to OpenGL 4.2, and
> OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0 are supported" which is good as i wanted to use
> 'modern GL techniques'
>
> I decided to build from source as i wanted to integrate with Qt and it
> seems there's been some work related to this in the osgQt module which i
> thought would be good to have.
>
> The problems started when i wanted to use a newer GL version. In CMake the
> option was to used GL3 so i selected that and deselected all the other GL
> options. When trying to build OSG it complained that gl3.h couldn't be
> found. So i went on a hunt for that and found the file no longer exists. It
> has been replaced by glcorearb.h.
>
> I made a work around to get passed that error but creating my own gl3.h
> file and including the glcorearb.h file & defining GLCOREARB_PROTOTYPES 1
>
> Later in the build though i come across another error as GL/gl.h is
> included via osgQt/GraphicsWindowQt and this file cannot be mixed with
> glcorearb.h
>
> Am i missing something here or is it a real pain to get GL3+ working with
> OSG? How does OSG support OpenGL 4.2 (as mentioned on the website) if it
> isn't in sync with the glcorearb.h file and is still looking for gl3.h?
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Roger

> Read this topic online here: