I use a osgText::Text object, put the text into it with all the appropriate
attributes. I put the osgText::Text under an osg::Geode with addDrawable().
I put the geode under an osg::MatrixTransform (I believe it may have
changed name in the latest version of OSG) with addChild(). Then I use a
osg::Projection and put the transform under that. Then you can change the
position of the object by calling text->setPosition().