I deploy my applications with their own local copy of OSG in the same
folder as the main application executable. I typically have a dozen
different versions and flavors of OSG on my computer at once so OSG_ROOT
becomes irrelevant.

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Émeric MASCHINO <emeric.masch...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi Farshid,
>
> Correct, but what about the plug-ins and examples? They aren't
> installed in OSG_ROOT\bin. So if you only copy the DLLs in
> OSG_ROOT\bin, when trying to load a plug-in (installed in
> OSG_ROOT\bin\osgPlugins-X.Y.Z) or running an example (installed in
> OSG_ROOT\shared\OpenSceneGraph\bin) that requires an external DLL,
> this last one will thus be searched in the PATH, with the risk of
> finding a similarly named DLL elsewhere in the filesystem before
> reaching the expected on in OSG_ROOT\bin. How do you manage this
> situation on your own?
>
> Cheers,
>
>      Émeric

> > Hi Émeric,
> >
> > Placing the external libraries in OSG_ROOT\bin should work as long as the
> > main executable is also in OSG_ROOT\bin. Windows should first search for
> > DLLs in the same folder as the executable before searching in PATH. So
> there
> > is no need to add your application to PATH, or worry about conflicting
> DLLs
> > in PATH. I've deployed my application like this for years and never had
> any
> > issues.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Farshid
> >

> > On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Émeric MASCHINO
> > <emeric.masch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> What's the best practice regarding OSG deployment on Windows? Indeed,
> >> several plug-ins depend on external libraries. Is it best to put the
> >> required DLLs in OSG_ROOT\bin\osgPlugins-X.Y.Z or rather in
> >> OSG_ROOT\bin, thus ensuring that OSG_ROOT\bin is in the PATH so that
> >> the plug-ins can find them?
> >>
> >> With this last approach, there's only one copy of each DLL shared by
> >> the OSG applications, plug-ins and examples. The drawback is that if a
> >> similarly named DLL is found in the PATH before reaching OSG_ROOT\bin,
> >> an incorrect DLL may be loaded.
> >>
> >> By contrast, copying the required DLLs in
> >> OSG_ROOT\bin\osgPlugins-X.Y.Z may also require copying them in
> >> OSG_ROOT\bin as well as in OSG_ROOT\share\OpenSceneGraph\bin.
> >>
> >> Any advice on what's better?
> >>
> >>      Émeric

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. xe...@alphapixel.com
http://www.alphapixel.com/
Training • Consulting • Contracting
3D • Scene Graphs (Open Scene Graph/OSG) • OpenGL 2 • OpenGL 3 • OpenGL 4 •
GLSL • OpenGL ES 1 • OpenGL ES 2 • OpenCL
Digital Imaging • GIS • GPS • osgEarth • Terrain • Telemetry • Cryptography
• Digital Audio • LIDAR • Kinect • Embedded • Mobile • iPhone/iPad/iOS •
Android
@alphapixel <https://twitter.com/alphapixel> facebook.com/alphapixel (775)
623-PIXL [7495]