Hi.
For all of my projects I use 2.8 as minimum. I remember that I started
using CMake when it was 2.6.
Looking at CMake release history (
https://cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Released_Versions ) 2.8.0 was released in 2009.
Debian 6 ( https://archive.debian.net/squeeze/devel/cmake , released in
2011)  had 2.8.2.
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise (
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=cmake&searchon=names&suite=precise&section=all
, released in 2012 and supported up to 2017) had 2.8.7.
For Windows and OS X it's easy to download the most up-to-date version.

So I suggest using 2.8 as minimum. Distros that was released in 2012 and
after are definitely covered.