looking at the osg::Image header file, it appears that the data storage is
not protected through reference counting.

        AllocationMode _allocationMode;
        unsigned char* _data;

the default allocation mode for an osg::Image is USE_NEW_DELETE, hence when
one instance of your shallow copy is destroyed, it will delete[] the _data
storage, making it unsafe to use from the 2nd instance.

You could force an allocation mode of NO_DELETE, so the osg::Image object
itself will never free its associated image data store - then your
application is responsible for freeing up these resources.

Christian