Dear Robert,

On 09/26/2016 09:39 AM, Robert Osfield wrote:
The only "difficulty" is when using a certain usage model when
threading, it's not a general issue.  The issue looks to be isolated
to the case where users set up threads after the viewer has been
realized.

This sounds a bit as if this was a rare thing to do, or at least a design choice that can or should be avoided. I think on the contrary, explicit thread handling is something that is slowly going to die for many applications, the future lies in futures (pun pun) and parallel version of standard algorithms. C++17 adds a lot of parallel functionality that the user can use without caring about threads themselves. The code sample that I posted yesterday is a typical std::future application.

If there was an easy and intuitive route to user control of thread
affinity it would have been implemented already.

What would be wrong with an osg::setThreadAffinity(...) function a user who knows what they're doing can use?

Christoph