In case this helps someone else, here are the variables that Robert
referred to:

OSG_CONFIG_FILE - set to a filename where a configuration is read. I'm
still trying to determine the format of this.
OSG_SCREEN - Set to a screen number. Under Linux it appears to refer to an
X11 screen number (seems like it would be more useful to be an Xinerama
screen number, though).
OSG_WINDOW - Same as using --window. Set to 4 values separated by spaces: x
y w h; where x and y give the origin of the window and w and h is the size
of the window. The window will have decorations (window bar etc.)
OSG_BORDERLESS_WINDOW - same as OSG_WINDOW but without a border. This is
what I was originally looking for.