Also, to add to that, osgdem relies heavily on GDAL to ingest raster data.
GDAL has several tricks for combining multiple files or directories and
referencing them as one dataset. For example:

https://gdal.org/gdal_vrttut.html

I don't recall ever using that technique with VPB, but in theory it could
be helpful.

On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 1:38 PM Robert Osfield <robert.osfi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> It's probably getting on decade since I last used or did any serious
> worked on VPB so can't recall the specific command line options to use
> off the top of my head.  So will just provide some general notes that
> may help.
>
> It's possible to have osgdem (single process build) and vpbmaster
> (multi-process distributed build) using a directory as input rather
> than individual files.  Run osgdem -h to get the command line options.
> You can generate a single source file from your initial input
> parameters and reuse that source file subsequently - this is what is
> also used in the distributed build.
>
> I'm afraid I can't help beyond this without sitting down at my
> workstation to do some test builds after doing re-learning of the
> command line options.
>
> FYI, in the coming months I'll be doing some work on paging in for the
> VulkanSceneGraph project and will likely do some work with VPB to get
> it to generate native .vsgb rather than .osgb files.  At this point
> I'll need to dive back into VPB and re-lean how to use it properly :-)
>
> Robert.

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. xe...@alphapixel.com
http://www.alphapixel.com/
Training • Consulting • Contracting
3D • Scene Graphs (Open Scene Graph/OSG) • OpenGL 2 • OpenGL 3 • OpenGL 4 •
GLSL • OpenGL ES 1 • OpenGL ES 2 • OpenCL
Legal/IP • Forensics • Imaging • UAVs • GIS • GPS •
osgEarth • Terrain • Telemetry • Cryptography • LIDAR • Embedded • Mobile •
iPhone/iPad/iOS • Android
@alphapixel <https://twitter.com/alphapixel> facebook.com/alphapixel (775)
623-PIXL [7495]