Robert is right, windowing toolkits often have their own ways of handling
this. For example, Qt and FLTK (and others) define a pixel ratio that you
can get via their API. I did a google search for "fltk gui retina" which
took me to https://www.fltk.org/doc-1.4/drawing.html . See that link for
getting the screen scale factor, which you then apply anywhere you use
pixel size/coordinates in your program. The resulting code code is
cross-platform, since the pixel scale will be 1.0 for Win/Linux but
something higher on OSX.

Ravi