Thanks Robert and Chris!

> Do you see any OpenGL errors reported?

Unfortunately, no. The symptoms are "freeze", then app shutdown with return
code 0xC0000409; if there is a debugger attached, the error appears to be
coming from the nVidia OpenGL dll. If there is no debugger attached, there
is no other error displayed. There are a few more clues in the Windows
Event Viewer,

------------------
The description for Event ID 1 from source NVIDIA OpenGL Driver cannot be
found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your
local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair
the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to
be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

A TDR has been detected.
The application must close.

Error code: 7
 (pid=17844 tid=14328 [APPNAME].exe 32bit)

Visit http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3633 for more
information.

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the
message table
-----------

So it looks like we give the driver something it has trouble to handle.

> I'd suggest starting with small models that you know are causing problems
and have a look at these first.

Yeah I think the next step is to figure out which model (models?) cause
that issue, and inspect it.

> It would also be worth trying things out on a different OS, hardware,
drivers etc, to see if there are any correlations.

Some of my colleagues have not been able to reproduce the issue on their
workstation. The only difference is the hardware. That's an annoyance.

> I've found the Windows Nvidia drivers to be really bad about actually
reporting OpenGL errors unless you create a debug context.

I was not aware that there was such a thing as a debug context, I'll check
into this.

Again, thanks for the help provided!

--
Vaillancourt