To answer my own question. The approach that worked was to just remove the
"zNear" plane from the Polytope. It is the last plane.
Seems like an unnecessary hack.

    PolytopeIntersector* picker
      = new PolytopeIntersector ( osgUtil::Intersector::PROJECTION, nx1,
ny1, nx2, ny2 );
    auto planeList = picker->getPolytope().getPlaneList();
    planeList.pop_back();
    picker->getPolytope().set ( planeList );