As you can tell Richard and I have discussed this before ;-)

Without this capability in the framework there is no way to
support legacy code that has a default package that needs to
be used by other bundles.  I agree with what Richard states
but this position can prohibit the adoption of OSGi in some
legacy scenarios.

John, if you cannot refactor the legacy code there is nothing you
can do using the standard OSGi R4 mechanisms :(

Tom.