[Excerpt: "We as Kurds want one of those two posts and we will not give
it up," Talabani said.]

http://www.gulfnews.com/Articles/RegionNF.asp?ArticleID=150526

Kurdish leader demands PM's post

Agencies
Arbil/Baghdad: Kurdish political leader Jalal Talabani announced he
would seek the office of either president or prime minister when the new
National Assembly convenes.

Talabani, head of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan, made the
announcement at a joint news conference with the leader of the other
main Kurdish faction, Massoud Barzani.

Talabani and Barazani said the Kurds should get one of the two posts in
the new elected Iraqi government.

"We as Kurds want one of those two posts and we will not give it up,"
Talabani said.

Meanwhile, the chief UN envoy met with the leader of main Sunni
political party yesterday, amid mounting efforts to convince the wary
minority community to participate in the next government.

Ashraf Qazi expressed the hope that parties which boycotted Sunday's
polls, in particular Sunnis, would "participate in drawing up the
constitution ... and our efforts will continue in this direction."

Many Sunni political groups ordered followers to boycott the historic
elections, following which Shiite majority are set to take power after
decades of Sunni domination.

"It is the duty of the UN mission in Iraq to consult all main political
leaders to examine the latest developments and the help that the UN can
give in the next phase of the political transition," Qazi told
reporters.

The leader of the Islamic Party, Mohsen Abdul Hamid, said their talks
had revolved around "the next government, the constitution and how to
bring about cooperation to sort out Iraq's affairs".

Asked about talks with Sunni leaders initiated by interim Prime Minister
Eyad Allawi, Abdul Hamid said: "We want to reach a shared point of view
with all parties in order to guarantee the future of Iraq."

Allawi met with several Sunni leaders on Wednesday, including Abdul
Hamid. Another meeting is set for Monday.

"Now that the political parties are starting consultations to form the
next, elected government, all agreed on the importance of this being a
fully inclusive process.

"All parts and all sectors of Iraqi society should be involved,"
Allawi's office said in a statement.

"For us, Iraq is more important than all the secondary conflicts even if
Sunnis in general, and the [Islamic] party in particular, have
withdrawn" from the elections, said Abdul Hamid.

The Islamic Party withdrew from the electoral race after its requests
were turned down to delay the vote until an improvement in the security
situation.

"We will not be in parliament and that doesn't really matter to us ...
What is important are [talks] between all Iraqis with the aim of
cooperating to resolve the country's problems," Abdul Hamid said.

Asked about his party's possible participation in the new government, he
said that the issue had not been raised within his party and "we are not
considering it".

Qazi later met interim Finance Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi, a candidate
for the premiership, his spokesman said.

"The meeting is part of consultations to explore ways that the UN can
help" the political process, said Qazi's spokesman, Ayman Al Safadi.

On Wednesday, the main Sunni religious organisation, the Committee of
Muslim Scholars, said the election had been illegitimate.

Qazi is due to meet the committee's leader, Hareth Al Dari, "very soon",
said Al Safadi.
enditem
UNRESTRICTED

DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide underprivileged children resources
often lacking in public schools. Fund a student project in NYC/NC today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/EHLuJD/.WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM