New pope risked death by deserting German army

Associated Press
Apr. 19, 2005 01:30 PM

Arizona Republic

BERLIN - In May 1945, thousands of German prisoners of war trudged down the
highway toward the Bavarian town of Bad Aibling. Among them - tired but
grateful to be alive - was 18-year-old Joseph Ratzinger, who days before had
risked death by deserting the German army.

"In three days of marching, we hiked down the empty highway, in a column
that gradually became endless," the new pope recalled years later in his
memoirs.

"The American soldiers photographed us, the young ones, most of all, in
order to take home souvenirs of the defeated army and its desolate
personnel."

Like his predecessor, John Paul II, Ratzinger was marked by the
terror-filled years of World War II. Karol Wojtyla was forced to work in a
quarry and narrowly escaped arrest in a mass roundup of young men by the
Germans in Krakow; Ratzinger's experiences were also harrowing.

In particular, his decision to leave his army unit just after he turned
military age could have cost Ratzinger his life.

At the time, he knew that the dreaded SS units would shoot a deserter on the
spot - or hang him from a lamppost as a warning to others. He recalled his
terror when he was stopped by other soldiers.

"Thank God they were ones who had had enough of war and did not want to
become murderers," he wrote in his book, "Aus meinem Leben," published in
English as "Milestones: Memoirs 1927-1977."

"They had to find a reason to let me go. I had my arm in a sling because of
an injury."

"Comrade, you are wounded," they told him. "Go on."

Soon he was home with his father, Josef, and his mother, Maria.

For years, he and his family had watched the Nazis strengthen their grip on
Germany. His father, a policeman and a convinced anti-Nazi, moved the family
at least once after clashing with local followers of the party. A local
teacher, he remembered, became an ardent follower of the new movement, and
tried to institute a pagan May pole ritual as more fitting of Germanic ways
than the traditional, conservative Catholicism.

In 1941, Ratzinger, 14, and his brother, Georg were enrolled in the Hitler
Youth when it became mandatory for all boys. Soon after, he writes in his
book, "The Salt of the Earth," he was let out because of his intention to
study for the priesthood.

In 1943, like many teenage boys, he was drafted as a helper for an
anti-aircraft brigade, which defended a BMW plant outside Munich. Later, he
dug anti-tank trenches. When he turned 18, on April 16, 1945, he was put
through basic training, alongside men in their 30s and 40s, drafted as the
Third Reich went through its death agony. He was stationed near his hometown
- he doesn't say where - but did not see combat with the approaching U.S.
troops.

After he returned home, the Americans finally arrived - and set up their
headquarters in his parents 18th century farmhouse on the outskirts of the
town.

They identified him as a German soldier, made him put on his uniform, put up
his hands, and marched him off to join other prisoners kept in a nearby
meadow. Taken to a camp near Ulm, he wound up living outside for several
weeks, surrounded by barbed wire.

He was finally released June 19 and hitched a ride on a milk truck back to
Traunstein.

His family was happy to see him.

"Of course, for full joy, something was missing. Since the beginning of
April, there had been no word from Georg," he remembered. "So there was a
quiet worry in our house."

Suddenly, in the middle of July, in walked Georg, tanned and unharmed. He
sat at the piano and banged out the hymn, "Grosser Gott, wir Loben Dich,"
"Mighty God, we Praise You" as his family rejoiced.

The war was truly over.

"The following months of regained freedom, which we now had learned to value
so much, belong to the happiest months of my life," he wrote.

DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide underprivileged children resources
often lacking in public schools. Fund a student project in NYC/NC today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/EHLuJD/.WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM