Courses planned for tracking terrorists in the border backcountry
By JOHN K. WILEY Associated Press Writer
PRIEST LAKE, Idaho
Constable Kim Bloy and two other Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers on
snowmobiles were following tracks across the border into northern Idaho,
when their machines became bogged down in deep powder snow.

The trail became so narrow and the snow so deep that the snowmobiles had to
be physically lifted to turn them around as other officers from the United
States and Canada made their way to the trapped Mounties.

Communications were spotty. Two-way radios didn't work and cellular
telephone coverage was limited by weather and satellite coverage, Bloy said.

"We learned many things that day; that being unprepared for anything,
anywhere is not acceptable," Bloy said Wednesday. "We were OK physically, we
had food and water. The Americans knew where we were. Our outfit knew where
we were. It was just a matter of getting to us."

Their 12-hour ordeal last Nov. 1 prompted the formation of the new law
enforcement mountain operations course, a joint effort to teach survival
skills to officers who routinely work the mountainous border regions.

Bloy is among a dozen federal, state, provincial and local officers from
both countries who are organizing the courses, which will be offered next
winter to teach officers how to safely equip themselves while chasing their
quarry through the backcountry.

"We hope that by this training, officers who go through the course will be
in a position to help people, rather than become victims themselves in the
woods," said U.S. Forest Service Special Agent Mike Bonszano, another
participant who will help teach the courses.

The winter skills course, put together by a number of agencies is the first
of its kind for people that work along the borders, said U.S. Attorney Jim
McDevitt of Spokane, Wash., whose office prosecutes many of the federal
smuggling, illegal entry and money laundering cases in Eastern Washington.

The course is being coordinated by Steve Tomson, a former Whitman County,
Wash., sheriff who is McDevitt's liaison with law enforcement agencies.

More officers are patrolling the border because of terrorism concerns, as
well as a burgeoning drug trade, human trafficking and influx of illegal
aliens, Tomson said.

Many of the agents who patrol the south side of the border are with the U.S.
Border Patrol, an agency of the federal Department of Homeland Security.
They often come from working the border with Mexico, and are unfamiliar with
thick forests, deep snow and below-freezing temperatures.

"The biggest challenge is working safely in the natural environment. If not
properly clothed and equipped, an officer can become a casualty quicker to
hypothermia than to terrorists," Tomson said. "Not everybody's an
outdoorsman."

For instance, nearly every law enforcement officer has some background in
basic first aid. But in the remote wilderness, officers need to know much
more to save a wounded colleague's life, Tomson said.

"There are things you would do differently in the backcountry than you would
do in town," he said. "You can't treat them and wait for the ambulance to
arrive."

Medical training will be a large part of the classes, along with compass and
map skills, avalanche safety, wilderness survival techniques and appropriate
clothing and gear, Tomson said. The courses, which will be taught about
twice a year, also will include anti-terrorism tactics and techniques to
catch smugglers and illegal aliens moving through the vast expanses near the
border.

"We have to keep our focus on the officers who have no real experience in
working in this environment," he said. "We want to teach the average patrol
officer how to survive."

The officers are part of the Okanogan Integrated Border Enforcement Team
responsible for the stretch from the crest of the Cascade Range in
Washington to Glacier Park in Montana. It is one of 14 such teams of
Canadian and U.S. law-enforcement agencies covering the border from the
Pacific to the Atlantic.

In about 75 percent of the Okanogan team's territory, the border crosses
federal forest or park land, much of it inaccessible to wheeled vehicles,
Tomson said.

Horses and four-wheel vehicles don't work where snow can pile 20 feet or
more in winter, so the courses will stress traversing the backcountry on
snowmobiles or even snowshoes, he said.

The costs of the sessions are being paid with federal law enforcement funds,
while individual agencies pay for food, lodging and other expenses of the
officers being trained.

Tomson and McDevitt said they hope Homeland Security money will be available
to continue the training.

"We've put together a lot of people with a lot of expertise," McDevitt said.
"We can save ourselves time and trouble and the taxpayers' money by getting
people together in a partnership."

___

On the Net:

Homeland Security Department: http://www.dhs.gov
050420 213718

Give underprivileged students the materials they need to learn.
Bring education to life by funding a specific classroom project.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/FHLuJD/_WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM