Please find below an example of UPI's continuing coverage of
intelligence reform and related matters. A shorter version appeared on
page A3 of Tuesday's Washington Times. I hope you find it interesting.
You may link to it on the web here:

http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20050415-022457-1565r

If you have any comments or questions about this piece, need any more
information about UPI products and services, or want to stop receiving
these alerts, please get in touch.

UPI subscribers received this piece when it was first published last
week.

Thank you,

Shaun Waterman
UPI Homeland and National Security Editor
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: 202 898 8081

WMD panel threatened resignations over co-operation
By Shaun Waterman
UPI Homeland and National Security Editor

WASHINGTON, April 15 (UPI) -- Members of the presidential commission
that examined U.S. intelligence failures told White House officials they
would resign en masse if President Bush did not ensure that the nation's
spy agencies cooperated with their inquiry -- and had to repeat the
threat more than once.

Laurence Silberman, the federal judge who was co-chairman of the inquiry
said he told officials, "If we did not get support from the White House
at any time we ran into any difficulties, I and others would resign."

"I did occasionally have to remind the White House of the commitment I
had made to resign," Silberman continued, saying he had done so to
"focus their attention."

But he also said the president had backed the commission team,
personally intervening to get the man they wanted as executive director
when his existing boss, U.S. plenipotentiary in Iraq L. Paul Bremer,
would not release him.

"When we decided we wanted him and we offered him the job, there was a
problem -- Bremer didn't want to let him go -- which required the
president of the United States to arbitrate the decision," Silberman
told a Washington breakfast organized by the American Bar Association
Thursday.

When the judge was appointed in February last year, he recalled, there
was much discussion of the fact that, unlike the Sept. 11 commission
that preceded it, the Commission on the Intelligence Capabilities of the
United States Regarding Weapons of Mass Destruction did not have
subpoena power.

Silberman said some commissioners fretted that, without it, they might
not get the cooperation they needed, but that he himself believed the
threat of resignation was "a more effective sanction."

As it happened, the concern about not having subpoena power turned out
to be unjustified, he said.

"Ultimately, I think everyone agreed that ... we did get good
cooperation," he said.

One area of potential conflict that went more smoothly than expected,
commission officials said, were the negotiations with intelligence
agencies over how much material could be put in the public, unclassified
version of the commission's report.

Unlike the two recent major congressional inquiries into intelligence
failures, the Silberman panel chose to write a declassified report,
separate from the classified version, rather than do as the lawmakers
did and publish the redacted version of their classified report, bearing
the familiar-to-Washington-insiders black bars and boxes over the
classified sections.

"It was an effort to create something more readable and less
mysterious," Stewart Baker, the commission's general counsel told United
Press International.

Commission officials said they began with the classified version and
then rewrote the text of sensitive parts so as to exclude or provide
unclassified summaries of classified information. The consent of the
agencies that provided the information had to be negotiated. The process
took about a month

Silberman told UPI the two versions of the report were 90 percent
identical.

Baker added that the commissioners were "surprised at how much could be
discussed in an unclassified format."

That same day, Bush, answering journalists' questions at the American
Society of Newspaper Editors, praised the commission for striking a good
balance between openness and protecting the country's secrets.

"I think people following this issue were surprised that so much was
declassified. And yet the -- the Silberman-Robb commission made it
really clear that had the other 10 percent been declassified, it would
have created -- it would have jeopardized our capacity to protect the
country. It would have -- it would have exposed sources and uses," Bush
said.

On the other hand, critics charge that at least redactions enable the
readers to see what is being hidden from them, and they say the
commissioners missed at least one golden opportunity.

Three chapters of the report -- dealing with the state of U.S. knowledge
about the weapons programs of Iran and North Korea and with covert
actions -- were excised from the public version.

"By excluding them," freedom of information campaigner Steven Aftergood
told UPI, "The commission missed an opportunity to help educate and
inform the public on these issues," which he added were "of some
urgency."

"Surely there was something they could have said on these important
topics without compromising sources and methods," Aftergood concluded.

Commission officials said that -- the excised chapters aside -- the
discussions of intelligence collection and the section dealing with
proliferation had presented the greatest challenges in terms of
classification issues.

"Those are the areas where there are the most omissions (from the
classified version)," said one.

Aftergood congratulated the commissioners on bringing to light the
interagency squabbles and turf battles that raged behind closed doors.

"That is the kind of information that would never make it through the
regular declassification procedure," he said, "On almost every page
there is material that (under normal circumstances) the agencies would
jealously guard from other eyes."

But he criticized them for the way they had characterized a biological
agent al-Qaida was working with.

"The whole business of 'Agent X' puzzled me," he said. "Al-Qaida would
obviously know what they were working on, and there's enough information
in the report that they could probably figure out what it is we know
about. So the only ones left in the dark are the readers -- the American
public."

Aftergood also criticized the choice of the term "Agent X" to describe
the bio-agent. "It sounds mysterious and ominous," he said.

Silberman said there were reasons why the commission had been as
tight-lipped on this topic as they had been.

"But of course," he said, "I can't tell you what they are."

--

(Please send comments to [EMAIL PROTECTED])

Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_OLuKD/8WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM