http://www.sierratimes.com/05/05/26/71_0_216_4_83322.htm

Of Terrorism and Steroids
Jon E. Dougherty

Congress should be congratulated for eradicating the terrorist threat
to our country, wiping out the insurgency in Iraq, clearing the last
remnants of the Taliban from Afghanistan, paying off the national
debt, securing our borders, solving our foreign energy reliance
problem, and bringing literacy to every American.

After all, these problems must have been resolved already. Otherwise,
why would lawmakers busy themselves with such inanities as requiring
the National Football League, Major League Baseball, and other
professional sports organizations to test their athletes for steroids
usage five times a year?
Yes, now that Congress has fixed the nation's most pressing problems,
there is nothing left for lawmakers to do except busy themselves with
the more mundane, less glamorous chore of regulating private sports
organizations.
And I'm sure it's all "for the good of the country."

Try I as I may, I cannot fathom a George Washington or Thomas
Jefferson or Benjamin Franklin or John Hancock who would ever consider
it the federal government's responsibility to make sure professional
athletes were free of "performance-enhancing" drugs.
It could be because these men were preoccupied with maintaining
independence from one of the world's foremost military powers. It
could also be because they never believed a central government had a
right to concern itself with something so utterly unrelated to its
primary mission of ensuring the safety and security of the nation –
not the safety and security of sports.

It may have been unfair for Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds to have taken
drugs so they could hit more home runs. It may be bad for NFL players
to use steroids to bulk up so they can hit harder and run faster. It
may be unsportsmanlike for NBA players to use performance enhancers to
they can sink more three point shots.
But even a cursory read of the Constitution Washington, Jefferson,
Franklin, Hancock and others fought, bled and died for grants the
federal government zero authority to regulate professional sports
organizations.

The use of drugs – or the banning of the use of drugs – in
professional sports is a matter for each private league to decide. The
owners, coaches, players and managers must weigh the potential
benefits against the potential liabilities. They must decide if the
use of drugs is an improvement to the sport or a hindrance. They must
choose, based on health, economic and cultural influences, if allowing
their players to use performance enhancing drugs is worth it. Even the
fans play a role here.
But not government.
The Clean Sports Act, proposed by Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Rep.
Tom Davis, R-Va., seeks to insert the federal government into still
another aspect of American life where it does not belong. If passed,
it would remove from these professional leagues their respective right
to decide their own policies, manage their own athletes, and set their
own guidelines and limitations.

Meanwhile, Osama bin Laden is still on the loose.
This is not an endorsement (or rejection) of steroid use. I have not
spent hundreds of millions of dollars to acquire a professional sports
team or establish a professional sports league. I don't represent the
interests of a single player, and I don't have the enormously
expensive and difficult task of turning a multi-million dollar sports
franchise investment into a profitable venture.

Lawmakers should consider these salient points before arrogantly
assuming they have a role to play here. They are also in no position
to make such determinations. That's a good thing, since our founders
gave them the infinitely more important task of ensuring our national
security instead. It may not be as glamorous as professional sports,
but glamour never stopped a suicide hijacker.

The players, teams, managers, owners and league officials should be
deciding what is in their own best interests. Congress has more
important things to do.
Jon E. Dougherty is author of Illegals: The Imminent Threat Posed by
our Unsecured U.S.-Mexico Border, and editor of the Web site Voices
Magazine [www.voicesmag.com].

Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_OLuKD/8WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM