http://www.campus-watch.org/article/id/2936

A Witch's Brew: The Gutmann Affair and Middle East Studies
by Winfield Myers
The Washington Examiner
November 16, 2006

<http://www.examiner.com/a-401900~Winfield_Myers__A_witch_s_brew__The_Gutman
n_affair_and_Middle_East_studies.html>
http://www.examiner.com/a-401900~Winfield_Myers__A_witch_s_brew__The_Gutmann
_affair_and_Middle_East_studies.html

On Halloween, when University of Pennsylvania President Amy Gutmann agreed
to be photographed <http://www.campus-watch.org/weblog/id/48>  at her annual
costume party (at which she dressed as Glenda the Good Witch) with a student
dressed <http://www.democracy-project.com/archives/002893.html>  as a
suicide bomber, she acted as an independent moral agent. So did the student,
Saad Saadi, whose exercise of poor judgment became a weapon in the hands of
Penn's PR flacks, who callously sought to shift the blame
<http://www.campus-watch.org/weblog/id/49>  from Gutmann to Saadi.

But neither Gutmann nor Saadi acted in a moral vacuum. In modern academe,
and especially at elite schools like the Ivy League Penn, a morally aberrant
atmosphere has for decades corroded standards of conduct and opened the door
to actions that common sense and simple decency condemn. Behind this moral
decline lies the long, steady politicization of the American university, in
which learning has become the handmaiden of "progressive" ideologies.
Nowhere is this more obvious than in the field of Middle East studies.

In an era of worldwide conflict between civilized life and death-loving
radical Islamist terrorism, Americans should expect learned men and women in
university posts to address key problems - jihadism, extremist varieties of
Islam, and suicide bombings - with an eye toward their defeat. After all,
the freedom of conscience on which scholarship rests, as well as the civil
society that makes university life possible, are directly threatened by
radical Islamist ideologies that would happily replace Western pluralism
with Sharia law.

Yet one looks in vain for such insights from a professoriate accustomed to
reaping the benefits of a stable, affluent America while professing hatred
for the virtues, habits and sacrifices necessary for the preservation of
liberty. Few scholars of the Middle East bother to investigate thoroughly,
much less condemn, radical Islamist terrorism.

A few examples from among many:

Rashid Khalidi of Columbia University has drawn a moral equivalency between
suicide bombers and their victims. He was quoted in the New York Post as
saying: "Israel has killed three times as many innocent civilians as have
Palestinians, for all the media hysteria about suicide bombers. Killing
civilians is a war crime, whoever does it, although resistance to Israeli
occupation is legitimate in international law."

Bruce Lawrence of Duke has soft-pedaled the true meaning of jihad
<http://www.danielpipes.org/article/498> : "a jihad that would be a genuine
struggle against our own myopia and neglect as much as it is against outside
others who condemn or hate us for what we do, not for what we are. . For us
Americans, the greater jihad would mean that we must review U.S. domestic
and foreign policies in a world that currently exhibits little signs of
promoting justice for all."

Omid Safi of Colgate <http://www.danielpipes.org/blog/381> , for example,
has asked his students to report on persons who "contribute to a negative
public presentation of Islam and/or Muslims," and helpfully provided the
candidates: "unrepentant Orientalists, outright Islamophobes,
Neo-conservatives, Western triumphalists, Christian Pentecostals, etc."

Duke professor Miriam Cooke <http://www.duke.edu/web/forums/cooke.html>
blamed 9/11 not on the Western-educated, affluent perpetrators, but on the
U.S. and Israel: "9-11 has a long history going back through the Gulf War to
the establishment of Israel in 1948."

At this week's annual conference of the Middle East
<http://mesa.wns.ccit.arizona.edu/annual/06program_comp.htm>  Studies
Association, the professional umbrella group for scholars of the field, only
two presentations mention terrorism in their titles, and only then in
looking at how the battle against terrorism affects Muslim societies:
"Impact of September 11 on Civic Participation of Muslim Women," and (even
more indirectly) "The Star, the Cross, and the Crescent: Politics, Religion
and Terrorism in Myriam Antaki's Verses of Forgiveness."

Given this abdication of responsibility by those entrusted by the society
that supports them to engage in research and teaching that would, if
exercised competently, increase our security by adding to our understanding
of the nature of our sworn enemy, the Gutmann affair loses some of its shock
value.

Years of scholarship and pedagogy by professors more concerned with issuing
apologias for evil-doers than exposing the true nature of their deeds have
given us leaders who lack the will to staunch the ongoing decline of the
modern university.

Until real suicide bombers are met with the same moral and intellectual
opprobrium meted out to history's other odious actors, be they Adolf Hitler
or Pol Pot, Klansmen, slave traders, or the guards at Auschwitz, we'll
continue to pay a heavy price through a weakened ability to withstand the
threats from violent jihadists.

No small number of those self-inflicted wounds will come from our
unwillingness to instruct talented young people to discern right from wrong
- even in matters as black and white as suicide bombings.