http://www.arabtimesonline.com/arabtimes/world/Viewdet.asp?ID=8767&cat=a

  Four civilians killed, 1 hurt in Nato's Afghanistan strike; Karzai
cries during speech, says Afghan children are dying
KABUL (Agencies): At least four Afghan civilians were killed and one was
wounded in a Nato-led airstrike against Taleban insurgents in eastern
Afghanistan, a police commander said Sunday. The civilians were killed
on Saturday in an airstrike that was part of a "mid-scale" operation
launched this week against militants in Laghman province just east of
Kabul, local police chief, Abdul Karim Omeryar said. "Yes, a house was
bombed by Nato planes. I know four people were killed and one was
injured --- they were civilians," the police chief told AFP.

He said intelligence reports indicated Taleban fighters were hiding in
the house targeted by International Security Assistance Force (ISAF)
warplanes in the province's Alishing district. "But only civilians were
in that house. The casualties were also civilians," he said. The
interior ministry in Kabul confirmed the operation, codenamed "Western
Hammer" but said it was investigating the civilian deaths. ISAF also
confirmed the raid. "There was an engagement with a small group of
insurgents, (Saturday) in Daulat Shah district. There was close air
support. No report on civilian casualties," ISAF spokesman Major Dominic
Whyte told AFP. The provincial governor for Laghman, Mohammad Gulab
Mangal, has appointed a committee to investigate civilian casualties, an
official at his office told AFP.

"We've the police reports that civilians were killed in the Nato
airstrike. The governor has appointed a committee to establish the
fact," he said. Scores of civilians have been killed during operations
by foreign troops against Taleban.
In October, ISAF admitted 12 civilians were killed in one of its
airstrikes against Taleban insurgents in the southern province of
Kandahar. Other sources put the civilian toll at between 60 to 85. A
government-appointed investigation committee established by President
Hamid Karzai is yet to reveal the results of their search.

Over 1,000 civilians are also among some 3,700 people killed in the
overall violence across Afghanistan this year, the bloodiest since the
2001 toppling of the Taleban by a US-led invasion, according to an
official report. A roadside bomb exploded next to an Afghan army
vehicle, killing all six soldiers on board, while a separate bomb and
gunfire attack left two Nato soldiers wounded, officials said Sunday.
Insurgents ambushed the Nato troops in southern Zabul province, wounding
two soldiers and damaging four vehicles with a roadside bomb and
gunfire, said Captain Andre Salloum, a spokesman for Nato's troops in
the south.

Meanwhile, with his lips quivering and voice breaking, a tearful
President Hamid Karzai on Sunday lamented that Afghan children are being
killed by Nato and US bombs and by terrorists from Pakistan --- a portrait
of helplessness in the face of spiraling chaos. In a heartfelt speech
that brought audience members to tears, Karzai said the cruelty imposed
on his people "is too much" and that Afghanistan cannot stop "the
coalition from killing our children." "We can't prevent the terrorists
from coming from Pakistan, and we can't prevent the coalition from
bombing the terrorists, and our children are dying because of this," he
said. The president, who turned tearful after relating stories of
children maimed by bombings, took long pauses between sentences and at
one point covered both eyes with a white handkerchief.

A single tear rolled down his right cheek and bounced off his suit
lapel. "Cruelty at the highest level," he said, his lower lip quivering.
"The cruelty is too much." The taped speech was shown later on state TV,
though that broadcast and other news shows did not show Karzai crying.
Karzai's spokesman, Khaleeq Ahmed, said the president was saddened over
the deaths of a 2-year-old child and two Afghan teachers on Saturday ---
"and it really got to him." Ahmed said Karzai was not trying to send any
larger message to Nato or the United States about their presence here.

+++