http://www.outlookindia.com/pti_news.asp?id=516492

Bhutto suspects 'child suicide bomber' was used to kill her

NEW YORK, NOV 5 (PTI)

Giving a new twist to last month's Karachi bombings that claimed nearly 140
lives, former premier Benazir Bhutto has said that a "child suicide bomber"
followed by a car bomb might have been used in an attempt to assassinate
her.

"Although it remains difficult to know for certain, I doubt that a suicide
bomber was involved in the attack on me. I suspect, after talking to some of
the injured, that the terrorists used a 'small child' as a ploy to get to
me," Bhutto wrote in commentary for CNN.

"They (terrorists) were trying to hoist the child -- dressed in the colours
of my party's flag -- onto my truck," Bhutto said, adding failing to do so
they dropped the child near her vehicle.

"Some witnesses said the child had been rigged as a human bomb. I can't be
sure. What followed was a massive explosion, killing scores immediately,
tearing many bodies in half and sending blood, gore and flames up into the
vehicle," she said.

"In less than a minute a second bomb -- reports later suggested a car bomb
-- went off," she wrote.

Bhutto survived unhurt when the blasts killing nearly 140 people took place
near her armoured truck in a huge procession she led in Karachi after
setting foot on Pakistani soil on October 18 for the first time in eight
years.

Questioning as to why the investigation were initially given to a police
officer who was present when her husband was nearly tortured to death in
1999, she said the most worrying was the "adamant rejection by Islamabad of
any assistance from the state-of-art forensic teams from FBI and Scotland
Yard.

"There are precedents in Pakistan for such international assistance. Such
teams were called in to investigate the mysterious and sudden death of Army
Chief General Asif Nawaz and the Egyptian Embassy bombing in the '90s,"
Bhutto said.

She had called in international experts when her brother Murtaza was killed
in what she said: "I believed was a conspiracy to destabilise my government
in 1996."

But she absolved President Pervez Musharraf of a hand in it, saying the
"sham" investigation of the massacre and the attempt by the ruling party to
politically capitalise on this catastrophe are discomforting, but do not
suggest his direct involvement.

It has now been more than two weeks since the "horrific assassination
attempt" against her and the police have still not filed her complaint, she
said, adding that they filed their own report without taking statements from
eyewitnesses on the truck targeted.

"Soon thereafter, I was asked by authorities not to travel in cars with
tinted windows -- which protected me from identification by terrorists -- or
travel with privately armed guards," Bhutto said.

"I began to feel the net was being tightened around me when police security
outside my home in Karachi was reduced, even as I was told that other
assassination plots were in the offing," she wrote in the commentary.

But she said she refused to holed up in her home a virtual prisoner and went
to her ancestral village of Larkana to pray at my father's grave.

She asked "why had the street lights been turned off? Was that intended to
prevent my security from clearly seeing any approaching dangers? Is there
any truth to the report that a high government official ordered the lights
turned off "to prevent her getting so much television coverage"?