Friday, June 22, 2007

Immigration bill a 'No Go'

Most of us have seen how mission control at Cape Canaveral conducts a
countdown before the space shuttle is launched.

Many engineers, scientists and other essential personnel sit before their
consoles monitoring various factors that determine if the launch should be
made. Generally, they respond with a "Go" or "No Go" response when asked by
the flight director if their respective element of the launch is functioning
properly. Generally, each of these highly trained personnel is backed up by
a staff of many others sitting in a back room along with banks of computers.

In most cases, if any member of the launch team does not give a "thumbs up"
indicating satisfaction with his area of responsibility, the launch is
postponed. This is done to ensure the safety of crewmembers and space
shuttle and to make certain the objectives of the mission will be
successfully carried out.

The Senate is poised to begin a debate about an extremely critical mission
advocated by the president and the majority of the members of the Senate
committee that came up with a proposed immigration reform bill. The
implications for the United States, where this bill is concerned, are of the
utmost significance for our nation. Immigration impacts so many other
aspects of the United States, starting with national security and criminal
justice, and including the economy, education, health care and the
environment.

We could compare the debate about the wisdom of the proposed legislation
with the preflight preparation of scientists and engineers charged with
launching the space shuttle who provide their perspectives in determining
whether to launch. If I had a seat at that debate, much like a member of a
launch team, I would give the legislation an emphatic "No Go."

There are many reasons I adamantly oppose the legislation, but first and
foremost is national security. This aspect has not been addressed in any
public debate, including the televised debates involving the presidential
candidates. No matter which scheme we are to consider concerning the fate of
the unknown millions of illegal aliens present in our country, one common
factor remains: The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
(USCIS) would have to provide identity documents to those millions of
undocumented aliens who have absolutely no documentary evidence to verify
their true identities.

Though former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani and Arizona's Sen. John
McCain are eager to invoke the recommendations of the September 11
Commission and provide those undocumented illegal aliens with what they
describe as "tamper-proof" identity documents, there really is no way to
know what name or even what nationality should be imprinted on those
millions of supposedly secure identity documents.

There is no way an adjudicator at USCIS can look at an applicant and know
who he or she is. The USCIS also would be unable to know when, where or how
the applicant entered the U.S. That is what the term "undocumented" means.

Those who advocate for a guest worker amnesty program attempt to gloss over
this critical issue by saying that our government would simply use
"high-tech" biometric methods. What does that mean? If a person lies about
his or her identity and has never been fingerprinted in our country, what
will enable the bureaucrats at USCIS to know that person's true identity? If
the adjudicators simply run a fictitious identity though a computerized
database, they will simply find the name has no known connection to any
criminal or terrorist watch lists. What is the value? Remember, we are
talking about a false name.

There is absolutely no way this program would have even a shred of integrity
and the identity documents that would be given these millions of illegal
aliens would enable every one of them to receive a driver's license, Social
Security card and other such official identity documents in a false name.

Undoubtedly, terrorists would be among those applying to participate in this
ill-conceived program. They would then be able to open bank accounts and
obtain credit cards in that same false name. Finally, these cards would
enable these aliens to board airliners and trains even if their true names
appear on all of the various terrorist watch lists and "no fly" lists. That
is why I have come to refer to this legislation as the "Terrorist Assistance
and Facilitation Act of 2007."

A final thought. To once again draw an analogy between the debate concerning
this legislation and the launch process at Cape Canaveral: On Jan. 28, 1986,
members of the launch team warned the flight director and others that the
cold weather should cause them to postpone the flight of the space shuttle
Challenger. They were ignored and the Challenger and its precious and
irreplaceable crew of seven astronauts, including the astronaut-teacher
Christa McAuliffe, were obliterated in an explosion 73 seconds after
liftoff.

The astronauts paid the ultimate price because management at the National
Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) refused to listen to the advice
of those with legitimate concerns about the safety of the launch procedure
that terrible day. I fear if our nation's leaders rush to create a fatally
flawed program in the name of "comprehensive immigration reform" that many
U.S. citizens will ultimately pay a similar price because our government is
failing to take into account the advice of the September 11 Commission and
many experts in an effort to please special-interest groups and deep-pocket
campaign contributors.

Lead, follow or get out of the way.

Michael Cutler, is a retired U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service
(INS) senior agent who led major INS drug-trafficking investigations for
more than two decades.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2007/jun/22/immigration-bill-a-no-go/pri
nt/

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.