http://www.bostonherald.com/news/opinion/op_ed/view/20110818us-pakistani_tie
s_in_a_tailspin/

U.S.-Pakistani ties in a tailspin

By Peter Brookes
Thursday, August 18, 2011 -

If true, America should be outraged that Pakistan reportedly gave China
access to the tail section of a downed U.S. "stealth" Black Hawk helicopter
that was involved in the Osama bin Laden take-down in May.

China and Pakistan deny the matter, but we shouldn't really be shocked. In
fact, the troubling twist of events should serve to better inform our
thinking about Washington's relationship with Islamabad.

Sure, some assert that giving Chinese spies a peek at the chopper was just a
fit of Pakistani pique over having been roundly embarrassed by the raid on
Osama's compound. But, it's almost certainly more than that.

First, Islamabad and Beijing have been tight for half a century, especially
since the Chinese fought a 1962 border war against their mutual rival and
neighbor:

India.

China is a major arms supplier to Pakistan, helping Islamabad distract and
balance New Delhi. Beijing helped Islamabad develop its nuclear weapons,
sold it nuclear-capable ballistic missiles and co-produces jet fighters with
it, too.

In return, Pakistanis give the Chinese access to Arabian Sea ports near the
oil-rich Persian Gulf and try to keep the lid on Islamist extremists who may
be training or plotting in Pakistan for attacks in China's restive Muslim
West.

Plus, China is involved in a disturbing military buildup and getting their
hands on advanced U.S. technology is Beijing's high spy priority.

The Black Hawk's tail section, especially its design and coating, would be
of interest to China's military, which sees us as a likely future foe. This
incident should clarify that Pakistan, while no enemy of the U.S., is no
ally either. It's unlikely Islamabad is in our corner on fighting terrorism
or Afghanistan.

The U.S.-Pakistan relationship continues to reach new lows, giving rise to
what should be a serious policy pause, including continuing to condition
American security aid on counterterrorism cooperation.

This latest report out of Pakistan should serve as another caution sign to
us as we stumble forward with Islamabad on issues of common concern.
Forewarned is forearmed.

Peter Brookes is a Heritage Foundation senior fellow and a former deputy
assistant secretary of defense. Talk back at peterbroo...@heritage.org.

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.